Wednesday, May 09, 2007

1000 Nights at Sea

So I've been recently following the unfolding adventure over at 1000daysatsea.blogspot.com. A guy and his girlfriend are setting have set out on what may prove to be a record breaking voyage; 1000 days nonstop at sea.

I've been following them since before launch and although I love the idea and hope they are able to see it through to completion, a couple of things stuck out to me as possible pitfalls:

1. Possibly the most obvious is the potential for relational strains between the captain Reid Stowe and his girlfriend/sailing partner Soanya Ahmad. I'm willing to be that you could take the best of couples and put them out to sea for 2.5 years nonstop...alone and start to see some strain.

taken from here

2. Sprouts. Their only source of green is various bean sprouts that they plan to grow themselves. And although I love me some sprouts, I would bet that the FDA has some warnings against sprout overdoses.

So I've joked with my friends for a couple of days about what the Blog for the voyage could look like after a hundred days or so and after many laughs and much brainstorming, I've started the counterBlog; 1000 (Drunken) Nights at Sea. The first post starts:
Day 100 - Frostbitten at Sea

Soanya and I are still fighting, haven't spoken in weeks. She remains on her half of the boat almost all the time. I swear shes colder than the wind-driven nighttime spray coming over the railing; How I hate sleeping on the deck.

I'm beginning to worry about what to do as the controls are on Soanyas half of the boat and weve been sailing south for several weeks now. Theres no way I'm venturing onto the dirty side to steer us northerly though. Its getting colder day by day, and we've had frost twice now... the sprouts are beginning to look beleaguered.
Needless to say the satirical nature is clearly evident. Im now just interested to see what the response to this is as it seems (from some comments left on the official Blog) some others have had the same thoughts.

Check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the ridiculous nature of this voyage. Apparently there is quite a back story behind this guy that even Hollywood couldnt make up, involving: drugs, arrest, prison time, squatting, fraud, deception, cults, etc.

Check it out here http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52463

Start with the last few pages as there is quite a volume of posts.

Enjoy!